Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Living on Mother's Time













Since retiring to the farm and living the simple life, I have not found it necessary to wear a wrist watch. It’s really amazing how much stress is related to being tied to a rigid timetable. My timetable today is virtually stress free.

The only timetable I have today is Mother Nature’s timetable. Springtime is a marvelous time in the country, but also the busiest time of the year. Keeping up with Mother Nature’s timetable can be a challenge during early spring. Learning to adapt to this schedule is fun and exciting. Then you have to factor in rain days. Learning to fertilize right before a rain day, allows the rain to work the fertilizer into the soil. Timing on planting can also be beneficial if done right before a good rain. Seed needs plenty of moisture to germinate properly. If I time my plantings based on projected rain, I tend to use much less water to get the seed germinated.



Mother Nature also dictates my schedule for the day. Watering and planting is done early in the day to get maximum benefit of the cooler air. As the crops begin to ripen, we will harvest the produce in the cooler early morning hours to retain the moisture in the garden goodies.

Other light duty chores are done as the temperature heats up. The heat of the mid day sun allows me to go indoors and take a break. Well, I say break but there is always something to do during the heat of the day.


  I like sitting near the beehives on a clear hot day and watch the bees coming and going from the hives.  Seeing them moving in and out of the hives lets me  know they are busy gathering nectar and doing well.
As the sun hangs low in the late afternoon sky, it’s time to hit the garden again to check water, pull some weeds, and take care of other garden tasks.



I love not being chained to a calendar or schedule. I enjoy living a daily schedule controlled by Mother Nature. Would I ever change this to go back to a rigid schedule of going back in to the work force? I don’t think so. Life is good on our little farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment